HOME > FAQ > For International Students in Japan

For International Students in Japan

I need information on foreign students’ status of residence and residence card.

Procedures for Entering and Residing in Japan

▲Page Top

How do I arrange housing?

Gateway to Study in Japan - Accommodation

After Arrival and Finding a Domicile—Procedures Related to Basic Resident Registration

▲Page Top

What do I do if I change schools or places of residence?

When Moving—Notification Procedures Related to Basic Resident Registration

▲Page Top

In what case will I need to change my status of residence?

You will need to change your status of residence if you conduct activities falling under a different status of residence. Specifically in the following cases, foreign students need to change their residence status of “College Student” to another type of status. In any such case, the local immigration office will accept your application for Permission for Change of Status of Residence with payment of the required application fee. Check with the website of the Immigration Bureau regarding documents required for the application.
Reference: Change of Status of Residence (Article 20 of Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act), issued by the Immigration Bureau, Ministry of Justice

1) Your employment after graduation has been determined in Japan

You must apply for Permission for Change of Status of Residence from “College Student” for Employment Purposes before you start working after you graduate. There are several types of status of residence for work. They include the statuses of residence of “Engineer,” “Specialist in Humanities/International Services,” “Researcher,” “Investor/Business Manager” for those who run their own companies, and “Instructor” for those who teach at Japanese elementary or junior high school.

2)You wish to continue job hunting after graduation

You will be allowed to stay and continue job hunting in Japan for a maximum of one year after you graduate with a degree. In such a case, you need to change your status of residence to “Designated Activities” with a period of stay of six months, in principle, and one extension will be permitted.
Furthermore, you need a letter of recommendation from your school in order to continue job hunting after graduation. Consult your school if you wish to continue job hunting in Japan.

3)You wish to continue activities to start your own company after graduation

Those who wish to conduct activities to start their own companies after they graduate can continue their activities for a maximum of six months. For the procedure in detail, refer to the following website.

Reference: Change in the Status of Residence to “Specific Activities” (for Job Hunting or Start-up of Own Business of College Students after Graduation, etc.), announced by the Ministry of Justice

▲Page Top

Is it possible to extend the period of stay?

To Continue Activities to Start-up Own Company after Graduation—Application Procedures for Change of Status of Residence from College Student to Special Activities

▲Page Top

Can I work part-time in Japan with the status of residence of College Student or Pre-college Student?

Working Part Time—Application Procedures for Certificate to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted

Finding Part-time Work

Gateway to Study in Japan - Part-time Work

▲Page Top

Can I start job hunting or conduct internship activities while studying in Japan?

Recently, there are an increasing number of international students experiencing internship activities at companies, etc. before they graduate. An internship is an opportunity where students as interns will experience on-the-job training at companies, etc. for a fixed, limited period of time.
Check with your school regarding the availability of an internship system while you are enrolled.
Furthermore, like Japanese students, there are an increasing number of international students going job hunting while they study and finding jobs in Japan.

Study in Japan Comprehensive Guide―Working after Graduation

▲Page Top

Can I travel outside of Japan during school breaks, etc?

When Visiting Home and Traveling Outside of Japan—About Special Re-entry Permission

▲Page Top

Do I need to subscribe for health insurance and accident insurance?

Gateway to Study in Japan - Medical Insurance / Accident and Property Insurance / Guarantor

▲Page Top

Can I apply for a scholarship extension or new scholarship while I study in Japan?

If you wish to extend your scholarship while you study in Japan, consult with the school or the scholarship organizer.
You can apply for a new scholarship. The application deadline and eligibility period of a scholarship varies with each scholarship organizer. Consult your school as soon as possible.

▲Page Top

일본 유학을 고려하고 계신다면

・일본 유학의 장점
・일본의 학교와 생활
・기본적인 정보 수집부터 시작해보세요

JASSO가 운영하는 일본 유학 포털사이트 보기


기타 장학금 제도

・다른 어떤 장학금이 있나요?
・수속 방법은?
・무엇부터 시작해야 하나요?

포기하지 마세요! 아직 길은 있습니다!

JASSO 웹사이트 보기

영어로 배울 수 있는 대학

일본정부가 추진하는 ‘Global 30’ 프로젝트 웹사이트 보기


학부 과정 일람표 보기(JASSO 웹사이트)

대학원 과정 일람표 보기(JASSO 웹사이트)