HOME > For Prospective Students > Types of Programs for Studying in Japan > Privately Financed Foreign Students

Privately Financed Foreign Students

Privately financed foreign students are accepted at Japanese universities and graduate schools, etc., in one of two ways:

i)The student is accepted after domestic or foreign selection upon applying directly to the school from his or her own country.
ii)The student first enrolls in a private Japanese-language institute and completes preparatory education of about one-year in duration. The student then applies to the school of his or her choice.

In either case, a student needs to go through the selection process designated by the particular university or graduate school. In many cases, a student will have to sit for an entrance examination in Japan.
Because the process differs according to the university(http://www.jasso.go.jp/study_j/schinfo_e.html) or graduate school(http://www.jpss.jp/eng/index.html), please be sure to confirm the selection process.

What examinations do I need to take in order to enroll in a Japanese university?

In order to be accepted at a Japanese university, you will need to pass the examinations (including those listed below) designated by the university.

For details, please refer to Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
Gateway to Study in Japan
web site or inquire directly to the school that you would like to apply to.

1)Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students

The Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) (http://www.jasso.go.jp/eju/index_e.html) is a test carried out by the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) since 2002. It serves to evaluate whether foreign students who wish to enroll at the undergraduate level at a Japanese university, etc., possess the necessary Japanese language skills and basic academic abilities to study at such institutions. EJU is also available in designated areas overseas and some Universities, etc., use the EJU score to grant pre-arrival admission without the need for prospective students to travel to Japan. There is a reservation program for the Honors Scholarships for Privately Financed International Students that is available after enrollment to a university, etc., to examinees who achieve a superior score on the EJU.

- FY2016 EJU Guidelines -

2)Japanese Language Proficiency Test

The Japan Foundation (overseas examinations) and the Japan Educational Exchanges and Services (domestic examinations) hold the Japanese Language Proficiency Test to evaluate the level of examinees' Japanese language proficiency.

What do I need to do to enroll in a graduate school?

Students wishing to enroll in a full-time master's or doctor's program as well as those wishing to become research students generally need to go through a documentary examination or entrance examination either in Japan or abroad. It may also become necessary for the student to find and obtain the informal consent of a supervising instructor prior to application. Please inquire at the graduate school to which you intend to apply for details.

If you're considering
studying in Japan

- Benefits of Studying in Japan
- Schools & Life in Japan
- Start By Finding Out the Basics

Gateway to Study in Japan, a website operated by JASSO


Other Scholarships

- What other scholarships available?
- What procedures are required?
- How shall I begin?

Do not give up! There is still a way!

JASSO’s website

Learning in English at Universities

Website of Global30, a project promoted by the Japanese government


List of undergraduate courses (JASSO’s website)

List of graduate courses (JASSO’s website)