HOME > FAQ > For Former International Students

For Former International Students

What should I be aware of when graduating from a school?
Clean your accommodations

Before you move out of your accommodations, especially if you are moving back to your home country, be sure to clean your room and have your landlord examine the room when you terminate your lease. Make sure that you do not forget to settle your water and electricity bill, as well as the telephone bill, especially the bill for international calls.

Short-term stay after graduation

If you need to stay on for a little while after graduation to prepare for the trip back to your own country, please consult with the regional immigration bureau closest to where you live.

▲Page Top

Tell me about job hunting in Japan.

Working after Graduation

Gateway to Study in Japan - Internship and Employment

▲Page Top

How do I change my status of residence if I am hired by a Japanese company to work in Japan?

If you are scheduled to begin work in April, the application to change your status of residence for the purpose of employment will most likely be accepted by the immigration bureau from around February. Permission is never granted on the spot. In most cases, your application will be stamped with "in process," so if you would like to go back to your own country temporarily before you begin your job, make sure that you time your application correctly.

Reference: Documents to be submitted
  1. Change in status of residence application form
  2. Letter of reason
  3. Certificate of graduation from your university (Certificate of prospect to graduate also accepted)
  4. Resume
  5. A copy of the employment contract
  6. Document showing the definite outline of the employer such as a copy of the company registration, balance sheet and profit and loss statement (1 year business plan for the coming year for new companies)
  7. Self addressed stamped envelope
  8. Other

▲Page Top

What kind of follow-up care is available to foreign students after they return to their own countries?

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs supports foreign students after they have returned to their home country through the following measures:

Support of Japan alumni association activities:
In countries where foreign students who have returned to their own counties have established Japan alumni associations, the Ministry supports gatherings and various other events, and provides financial assistance for expenses needed for the creation and distribution of meeting reports and rosters.
If you want to know if country has a Japan alumni association or want to know how to contact them, please refer to the List of Japan Alumni Associations page: http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/ath/ath0201e.html
If your country doesn't have a Japan alumni association but you would like to start one, please contact the nearest Japanese diplomatic establishments.

▲Page Top

If you're considering
studying in Japan

- Benefits of Studying in Japan
- Schools & Life in Japan
- Start By Finding Out the Basics

Gateway to Study in Japan, a website operated by JASSO


Other Scholarships

- What other scholarships available?
- What procedures are required?
- How shall I begin?

Do not give up! There is still a way!

JASSO’s website

Learning in English at Universities

Website of Global30, a project promoted by the Japanese government


List of undergraduate courses (JASSO’s website)

List of graduate courses (JASSO’s website)