For Prospective Students
For Foreign Students in Japan
For Former Foreign Students
For Prospective Students
top logo
Home > For Prospective Students > Student Categories Short-term Exchange
Categories of Student Exchange in Japan  jp
Why Study in Japan?
300000 Foreign Students
Selecting a School
Student Categories
The 4 Student
Own Government-
Short-term Exchange
Immigration Procedures
Necessary Items
Personal Accounts
About Short-term Study and Student Exchange Programs

Short-term study refers primarily to studying abroad while still enrolled at a university in one’s home country on the basis of inter-university exchange agreements. The objective is not necessarily to obtain a degree but rather acquire a foreign language, experience a foreign culture or study at a university, etc. in a foreign country or region. The student receives education for a semester or several semesters within an academic year, acquiring credits or receives research guidance. Classes are carried out in the language of the country where the educational facility is located or in a foreign language.

Student exchange refers to a university dispatching a foreign student to another university with which it has an inter-university exchange agreement and having the other university accept the student.

Credit acquired at the university where the exchange student is studying is generally calculated into the credits earned at the university where the exchange student is originally enrolled. Depending on the number of credits earned, it becomes possible for the student to graduate from the university where he/she is originally enrolled when the standard number of years necessary for acquiring a degree is reached. Tuition is ordinarily paid to the university where the exchange student is originally enrolled. However, there is a need to confirm how tuition should be paid while abroad as an exchange student or how credits are handled as they may differ from university to university.

Procedures for Becoming an Exchange Student

Almost all Japanese universities have an inter-university exchange agreement with a foreign university. Students desiring to become an exchange student at a Japanese university need to select a university from among the Japanese universities with which his/her university has an inter-university exchange agreement. S/he then makes an application for student exchange with the university in which s/he is enrolled. After going through a screening at his/her university, an application is then made to the university s/he wants to study at as an exchange student. This application is made through his/her university. Going abroad to study as an exchange student becomes possible when agreement is obtained from the university that s/he has chosen. Please keep in mind that even if there is an inter-university exchange agreement with the university, not all credits necessarily become object to exchange.


Examples of Universities Accepting Short-term Exchange Students

Many Japanese universities accept short-term exchange students. Examples of a national university and a private university follow for your reference.

Short-term Study Programs for Foreign Students in which Classes Can Be Taken in English (Undergraduate Level)
  1. National university
  2. Private university
Scholarships for Short-term Study in Japan
  1. JASSO International Student Scholarship for Short-term Study in Japan
    This program provides scholarships to qualified foreign students who are accepted by Japanese universities on the basis of student exchange agreements, etc. on a short-term basis between three months and one year.

    for details
    (Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) website)

  2. Japan - East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths (South Korea)
    Japan - East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths (JENESYS Programme) is an exchange program which invites youths, centering on those from countries participating in the East Asia Summit, to Japan. JENESYS Programme (South Korea) is carried out as part of this program. By commission of the Japan-Korea Cultural Foundation, the Japan Student Services Organization provides support to qualified students enrolled in a South Korean university who are accepted by Japanese universities on the basis of student exchange agreements, etc.


    (Japanese only)
    (Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) website)

  3. Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship "Japanese Studies Program"

    The Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship system was inaugurated in 1954 and has accepted more than 83,000 (as of the end of fiscal year 2009) foreign students from about 160 countries and regions worldwide. The Japanese Studies Program is for undergraduates who are enrolled in a foreign university. The term is one academic year. Students are accepted for this scholarship from 74 countries and regions around the world.


External Links

Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)

Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT)

|   Privacy Policy   |   Comment and Suggestion   |
About Japan F.A.Q Link About This Page Site Map Link Us Search